Thursday, May 19, 2011

Ethics Of Texting

          The topic in discussion is in regard to the ethics of text messaging. More specifically, the the ethics of "Sexting" and texting while driving. While with a little common sense one may conclude both are things that are better avoided. The question is are the acts to be considered ethically wrong to commit.  This question comes into an account when the punishment for each is issued. What constitutes either of these actions as being wrong acts, and what are some ways we can solve the current undesired results of each?
           The first concern I will face is the topic of "sexting", sexting being sending nude photos or any other sexually illicit material via text. The first obvious response to such an action would be to not do it at all. Completely avoid doing anything relatively close to sexting. Upon a quick analyzation one could see that nothing good could come of participating in it. Again most of those participating are children, an easy solution would be to really stress upon strength in character and judgment. Maybe this could prevent kids from participating in such stupid acts. So in conclusion to the original question "Is sexting wrong", No it is not. It is just very stupid and should be avoided.
            What to do if such an act is already committed though? In many cases these minors are being charged as adults . Being labeled permanently as sex offenders, as well as potentially serving prison sentences. To easily illustrate the point to be made I will cite an example of one of these cases. In Massachusetts are being faced with charges of the possession of child pornography. The thirteen year olds were caught with the possession of a photo of a young girl lifting up her shirt exposing one of her breasts. As well as possessing the photo the six teens played a part in the distribution of the photo around the school. Although I may disagree with the distribution of the photos as well as the photos even being taken in the first place. I don't think the charges being applied are correct. There is no question that these kids should face ramifications for their actions, but being charged as child sex offenders seems a bit paradoxical. This being because the possessors of the photos are children themselves, being the same age as the pictured girl. So children are being charged with the possession of child pornography. Although I see a flaw in the solution being  currently provided, I don't think I know an adequate replacement. Possibly an equal scale of humiliation could be met. All those who were caught distributing the photo would have to come to school naked while everyone they knew beat them with giant spoons.
               The next topic of discussion would be texting while driving. Again the obvious solution to this would be to not do it at all. This question seems a bit more black and white then the previous though. Doing anything other then driving while driving is going to impair your ability to drive. In doing that your not only putting your own life at risk, but those in any close vicinity to your vehicle as well.  So when your driving and you hear that text go off and you think it will only take a second, Don't read it. IF you really must or it is an emergency just pull over. When  you get in your car just put your phone on silent and put it into the glovebox, its a really easy solution to a potentially fatal problem.  I think it would be really difficult to provide an argument that justifies texting while driving. Until that argument can be provided it should be avoided entirely. In conclusion to the initial question "is texting while driving wrong?", No. Not in itself but it can lead to potentially great wrongs, so it should be avoided.
             With the rapid progression of technology our responsibility also rapidly advances. If that responsibility isn't properly met with technological advancement then negativities will arise. When children posses the technology to potentially destroy the well being of another, the need to instruct the importance of empathy only increases. With the constant distraction of our mobile devices, the need for self discipline again only increases. Texting in itself is not wrong, but when we start to neglect the responsibilities with it it becomes wrong. It is like anything that contains power, would you put a gun in the hands of an irresponsible person?  With a phone you have the power to connect yourself to millions of people.  Maybe were giving that power to to many people who are not yet ready for it.

6 comments:

  1. This is interesting, though you have two sentences, especially at the beginning, where they are fragments, separated by a period, instead of a comma. (I'm an aspiring (and recently published) author, so I notice stuff like that.) Other than grammatical stuff, though, you give good info, but are you missing the sources? I don't see them at the end, and I didn't see anything to click on throughout the paper...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, I missed this line somehow. "Possibly an equal scale of humiliation could be met. All those who were caught distributing the photo would have to come to school naked while everyone they knew beat them with giant spoons." :) I really like this bit for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good points when you mentioned if you have a text, don't read it. or if it's important, just pull over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually didn't mind reading this blog. I thought your solution to the ramifications a minor should receive if found posessing a photo of another, nude, minor was entertaining. I also agree with your stand on texting while driving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No references provided.

    Credit: 10 points.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's absurd that minors are being charged as adults.

    ReplyDelete